Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Rain Comes Down...

...and the floods come up.Yes, this may look like a peaceful, serene picture of Iowa. But look closely, the above picture is (was) a baseball field. None of the trees should be near water. The Iowa River has flooded nearby neighborhoods and roads.


These 2 pictures are someones backyard. I hope they have a boat, because the kids won't have much fun trying to run around back here.


The cities of Coralville and Iowa City are asking churches and community members to assist in sandbagging efforts starting last Friday. We went and helped on Saturday and Sunday (it's bad enough that they announced after church for anyone who could to go help--an ox in the mire sort of thing). I think some companies are even shutting down, encouraging their employees to go out and sandbag instead. It's hard work, but there is still SO much to be done. All the walls we got up during the weekend now have to be raised a few more feet because the floods are supposed to be record breaking. Our apartment is safe, but I feel terrible for anyone who is in the flood plain because it will be a miracle for the sandbags to hold and be everywhere it is needed.
...And I thought Iowa's weather excitements were over with the winter...

5 comments:

Lindz_e said...

That is great you are helping! I am glad your home is safe. I hope things get better for everyone soon.

c said...

You're in our prayers, sis!

Stephanie said...

You Cheney's are Iowa City's biggest asset! Taylor called you the "powerhouse" couple when we were sandbagging. Good luck! Can't say I'm sorry we're missing this.

Ashley said...

I didn't even know you guys lived in Iowa, I've been watching about it on the news thinking how sad that was. Good for you guys for helping out.

Liz said...

My goodness! Crazy weather. You guys are great to help. Hope you keep dry in your place!