Saturday, June 28, 2008

Bookworm

Anyone who knows me well will know how much I LOVE to read. Ever since I found my first chapter book in 1st grade during library time, I've often had my head burrowed in a book.
This is why I'm SO excited about GoodReads. I just found out about it last week, but it's great. It's kind of a "Facebook for books", you register and network with friends to share and rate books you've read. Now, I instantly have lists of good (and clean) books to read instead of having to read the book jackets and hope that the story stays appropriate. So, join GoodReads (it's free) and add me as a friend so we can share recommendations, it's awesome!

Some of my favorite memories of reading:
-As a child, my friends would often come over after school or during the summer to see if I could play. Too many times my reply was "No, I can't play, I'm reading." The sight of their dumbfounded looks made it apparent they didn't understand why reading a book would be better than playing with friends.
-I'd stay up late at night (almost every night) to finish a book until my mom caught me one too many times still reading at midnight as a 10 year old, and I got grounded from reading for a whole week! How many kids get FORBIDDEN to read as a punishment?
-My elementary school librarian expected my daily visit to the library to check out a new book and she had my library ID number memorized from typing it into the computer so much.
-My 5th grade teacher would get so frustrated when she would be teaching the class a new lesson and would catch me reading with a book in my lap hidden under my desk. She soon switched me to another classroom that had more of an emphasis on reading. My new teacher soon also became frustrated when we would read stories outloud as a class, taking turns reading, but anytime I got picked to read, I had to sheepishly ask what page we were on because I was too impatient and would read ahead at a speed-reading pace.
-My older sister Alyssa would read a chapter a night to me. I loved it and I get a sentimental feeling everytime I see a "Fudge" book by Judy Blume.

ps--favorite novel of all time? Hard question, but probably "The Chosen" by Chaim Potok, "Gone with the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell, or "Number the Stars" or "The Giver" by Lois Lowry.

2 comments:

Jessica Sorensen said...

number the stars was my favorite book growing up.

Liz said...

I just signed up on Goodreads because of your blog. And then my sister signed up because I did. You should get paid for this...