

A huge concern about getting started on our food storage was the latter part: Storage. We love our apartment but that is definitely an area it is lacking. I didn't think there was ANYWHERE we could store anything else unless we made a mountain of canned goods, covered it with a tablecloth and called it our coffee table. Luckily, we didn't need to do that. I was able to clear everything we had out of our "pantry" closet (none of it was food). We'd be using it as a regular storage closet since it was the only one we have. I was able to get rid of some things, and creatively move the others. And... I got ALL (almost) of the food storage into the pantry! Of course, it's full to the brim and it'll be a pain to try to add anymore or actually try to get anything out, but we did it!Since I mainly focused on getting everyday-type foods, now I feel more ready to move on to bulk food storage items like dried foods and grains.
Ethan was also a big help. As soon as the groceries were brought in and he saw all the cans, he searched through the kitchen drawers until he found both our can openers and proceeded to try to figure how the heck his mom opens the cans. I had no idea he'd ever noticed me using one.My TIPS:
1. Set a goal, whether it is how much to spend initially or how much to get by a certain date.
2. Find good resources. My favorites were http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/ (GREAT spreadsheets to help get a reliable count of what you need) and http://everydayfoodstorage.net/ (nice handouts, recipes, and tutorials).
My QUESTION:
1. How can I rotate my food and ensure that I am not just using up my food storage? I really hope my grocery bills don't start dropping because I'm using food storage and not replacing it, but I also don't really want to tally each tiny thing I take from the pantry each time I use something.
10 comments:
What a relief! I am sure that you are happy to have gotten started and have a bit of storage going, keep up the good work.
Thanks for the tips and the websites. Food storage overwhelms me. I never know what to do.
I'm pleased to see they sell Old El Paso enchilada sauce at your grocery store. Re: storage space-- watch The RM for ideas.
I keep a piece of paper on a magnetic board in my kitchen where I write down everything I take out of my storage. Then, I just have to watch for the sales and I know what I need to stock back up on. That's the only way I've been able to figure out how to make it work.
Wow, that is a lot of food. I know it feels good to finally have some food saved up!
YEAH!!!! Congrats on a new little one!!! That is exciting news- I'm due just a few weeks before you are!! Sad we're not together to enjoy our cravings!! And wow- great work on the food storage. I'm impressed!!
Congrats on your baby news that is so exciting. I am also way impressed with your food storage. we will have to getogether when its nice out for a walk.
Aahhh!!! Are you nuts! I'm not talking about food storage... how in the world do you plan to handle 2 kids!!
Ok, seriously, I'm talking to myself. If there is any woman on the planet who can handle two kids its Chelsea Cheney. Proof: She managed to fill two grocery carts full of food, clean out and reorganize a pantry closet with said food, AND watch a 1 year old. Wowza! You'll be great!
Way to go! Let's hope Ethan doesn't try "reorganizing" that closet! What about putting a label on a certain can of everything so when you hit the one with a sticker, you know you've got to buy more. i guess that would only work if the cans are in line so that you take them out in order (so that you know if you've put a sticker on the 10th can of green beans, that when you get to it, you've really eaten (or thrown down the garbage disposal in the case of green beans) 9 cans of them.
That IS very efficient of you. Nicely done. What a little smarty pants Ethan is- and cute too!
Post a Comment