Okay, so it wasn't the most amazing thing I've ever done, but we had a great time this weekend with Brian's parents.


Here's the traditional butter cow and honorary butter sculpture of Des Moines native Shawn Johnson (not a very accurate likeness--and her backside was huge, but cool none the less).


Apparently Iowa's into super-sizing everything for the fair. We pigged out (haha, get it, see the winning big pig--1200 pounds! and the big old bull--over 3000 pounds--I thought it was a hippo!) on all the greasy carnie food we could get our hands on--kettle corn, Italian sausages, fresh lemonade, homemade root beer, and yes, even a FRIED TWINKIE (as pictured below). Despite its slightly banana-y taste, it wasn't that special, but it was amazing how FAT it got from soaking up the grease :)


There was a pumpkin so big that our chubby little E could live in it! By the time we left, I felt like I was super-sized like the hog, hippo-bull, pumpkin, and butter girl. Blah, but it still makes me want to experiment with frying everything I didn't get to try at the fair--fried Snickers, Oreos, pineapple, etc, etc, etc, --anyone up for a fry party (forget the fondue pots, let's go with the fry daddies and make ourselves sick!) ?
8 comments:
Ok, I have to go purge after just reading all that. thanks, sis!
I pretty much shrieked when I saw Ethan's shoes.
We have lived in Iowa for three years and still have yet to visit the state fair! Looks pretty cool though. And Ethan looks adorable of course.
Ha! Your blog totally made my afternoon. Carnivals are kind of a strange American tradition, aren't they? I loved your take on it.
I'm a little jealous about the fried twinkie - I was begging Brad to go to our State Fair - which also is all about the odd things they fry - but we missed it :( It sounds like the Iowa State Fair is a good time!
ps. I will send the instructions for the church bag - I don't have them on my computer, but I can get them from someone.
Okay, I posted instructions on the church bag, check it out!
hey girl...you need to eat more fried foods! you're too dang skinny! I still laugh / and get angry at the same time, that that stupid woman thought that you and I would be the same swim suit size. was she high?
wow...they grow em big out there! looks like tons of fun
Post a Comment