Friday, August 22, 2008

Breaking Dawn: A Blood-Sucking Debate


I don't want to ruin the story for anyone, so if you haven't finished these books, or are planning to read them in the future, Beware, this post may contain spoilers (though I'll try to avoid it).

I've loved reading the Twilight series for the past few years and have recommended it to countless people. It's got everything: action, adventure, romance, great character development, issues you can debate for hours over. It's not Harry Potter, but this young adult fiction series is a great story to "sink your teeth into."

I'm currently reading Breaking Dawn (about half way through), and really, just have to pose a few questions I'm currently having issues with (regarding the whole series, but mostly Breaking Dawn). I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on these.

1. How do you feel about the details of the sexual tension between Jacob, Bella, and Edward?
2. Has the author put too much detail in about "honeymoon" aspects of the book?
3. What age groups would you recommend this series to?
4. Is there a difference between married adults reading this vs. the young adult audience this book is geared towards?
5. The Host is considered Meyer's first "Adult" book. In what ways is that story more adult than Breaking Dawn?

I have to admit I'm disappointed in Stephenie Meyers. She is a wonderful author, and I am so glad that she has chosen to have the characters avoid any premarital sex. But, considering that this is a young adult book, WHY did she need to write so much about the issues to be dealt with during the honeymoon. Yes, I know it wasn't terribly graphic or detailed, but I'm not sure I approve of these 10-18 year olds reading about the lingerie, headboard, bruises, etc, etc, etc. I had expected Meyers to use her knowledge of the sanctity of marriage to skip over any unneeded private details. If what was written had been acted out in a movie, it would be too much of a sex scene for me to be comfortable with, why should it be different in a book? And I wish she hadn't felt the need to add in those few less offensive swear words. Not all teenagers swear and I think it'd be a good example to have characters who don't swear.
On another note, why does Bella have to act so stupid and stubborn all the time? Hasn't she learned to trust Edward's wisdom? WHY can't she just get Jacob out of her mind and heart if she's so in love with Edward? Why doesn't Jacob just give up and accept it once Bella's married? And why is Edward so in love with Bella--full of faults (it seems like an unequally yoked relationship to me)?

Ok, obviously despite all these quips, I'm still so into the books that I will take the time to get into this, I love reading the story, overall it's a GREAT series, there are just a few parts I'm having problems with.

What do you think? Feel free to totally disagree with me, I'm interested in what everyone else thinks!

7 comments:

Erin said...

Hey I found your blog...hope you don't mind the comment.

I've felt like a huge nay-sayer so I am glad I am not the only one who has some misgivings/criticisms. I thought I was the only one who thought the book was overly sexual considering the target audience. When I remember that my 12 year old sister just finished the book it makes me very uncomfortable.

I also have been very frustrated by Bella's pitifulness throughout the series and also Edward's seeming controlling nature. And poor Jacob getting used time and time again. How cruel.

Like you, I found the series entertaining but I am glad I'm not the only one who had some complaints.

Ashley said...

Hey I think that the books are great for young adults but i agree that the last book was a little racy for me to hand over to my teenager for sure, but that being said as an adult I thought the first 3 books were lacking in the spice department and enjoyed it in the last one, ok so your cousin now sounds a little perverted but lets just say I thought she hit it perfectly not sharing too much but getting the point across. It is super funny though seeing everyones points of view, there is alot of talk about these books in our ward and surprisingly some shocking suspects came out (bishoprics wife)and said the same thing about wanting it to be a bit more adult! All and all I agree that it is a great series and she is an awesome author.

Ashley said...

Also I agree that Breaking Dawn was way more an adult book than The Host, what the heck is up with how they categorize these things, it makes no sense.

Lindz_e said...

I have not read the 4th book yet. I have read 1-3 and loved them so far. Its entertaining. I have to agree.. I thought I was the only one but... I don't understand why the boys like Bella so much. =) Maybe its just because we get to read her every thought but... she never seems happy. Some times I get frustrated when I am reading when I get to a part that bella is mad or sad again.
Well I am going to start the 4th book tomorrow =)

Liz said...

Oh, Chelsea... just wait. I have to admit book 4 was a big let down for me. I still liked it and finished it (so it couldn't have been too bad) but overall I was not impressed. I would never recommend these to unmarried girls (or boys) and definitely not to young adults. I guess that in books 1-3 I was hoping for Bella to redeem herself with a big show of maturity and confidence but... you'll see.

Tiana said...

You know me, big Twilight fan ever since you recommended them to me. Mostly because they got me through my morning sickness with Ellie, but also because they are fabulous books. This one was different for me. It was such a different book. It was definitely more mature, not just because of the sex stuff, but the whole theme. As a mother I couldn't help but keep putting myself in her shoes, forgetting the age difference and the fact she just became a wife and mother of a very mature kid. I think I am rambling, but my point is, that I too, thought several times (especially now that I have a daughter) thought, hmm, would I want my teenage daughter to read this? Though, having looked at other books teenage girls are reading these days, this is practically pure clean compared.

Sign of the times I guess.

For you, Chels, I must whine to you, I am seriously bummed to finish this book! Don't you just want more? I mean, we wait a whole year for it, read it in 3 days, then done. I wish you were here so we could go to the movie together.

Katyanne said...

I would say that I find the "honeymoon" portion a little weird but I think thats just my "mormon" raised innocence coming into play...when I think about it I find that a younger sister would find it very good to read. How waiting for marriage is a good thing to aspire for. and how wonderful it is to wait would be a great thing for them to read. All the details were left out except some things that young teenagers need to know.
I personally know how it is to love two people at the same time, so I can relate to belle and Jacob's relationship. I ended up marrying "my jacob" but while being married...it didn't break a certain bond with the other person. I realized I "love" my husband and he was a better choice for me and a more healthy relationship but their will always be a place in heart for the other guy. and as for edward being so in love with bella...I don't know (she doesn't seem to be worth either edward or jacob's love) but I think waiting 90 years and not being interested in a single person that whole time and all of a sudden being interested in someone...he is trying to catch up with 90 years of repressed emotions.