Sunday, April 12, 2009

Surprise Piano Recital

This weekend we visited Brian's parents for a surprise piano recital. Brian's mom has taught piano for 26 years and usually puts on an April recital, but because of health issues with her cancer this year, she had to forgo her beloved annual recital.
As a surprise, some of her good friends arranged for some of her piano students, past and present, to learn a recital piece to perform for Eileen in a surprise recital. It was great! The heartwarming night made us all cry. The students worked so hard and were so cute in playing their pieces. Many of the songs were by beginning students and were only a couple lines long.
As the last performance, Brian played an amazing song to pay a tribute to his mother who taught him piano and gave him a love of playing. Grandma and Grandpa wanted to hear it, so here it is. (sorry about the horrible camera work, I blame it on my crying child, being mesmerized by the piece and not paying attention, and holding the camera with my arms resting on my prego tummy while breathing in and out)
Enjoy! (it's quite amazing, I can't even figure out how to play a hymn without messing up)

25 comments:

echo said...

oh my gosh! he is AMAZING!!!

echo said...

don't you love being married to a musician?! i do!!

Ruth said...

That is seriously amazing. How special that they did that for his mother. I knew he played - but not that well! He is such a well rounded guy!

Tawnya said...

That is so beautiful. Nicely done Brian. And what a sweet thing to do for your mom.

Tawnya said...

He makes it look easy !

Tiana said...

Absolutely amazing Brian. Very impressive. What a great tribute to your mom.

Shenna said...

That was incredible! What a talented husband you have.

Jen said...

Just catching up on your blog. Funny David and the Dentist video. Thanks for the laugh. Congrats on baby #2!

SHELLYFINCH said...

WOW! He's is truely an amazing and extremely talented musician! He better teach Ethan!

jaordyna said...

That was pretty much incredible. Let me guess...the music is just there as a prop? I'm so glad you posted it, so we could see what this boy can REALLY do. What a sweet tribute to his mom. I'm sure that lifted her spirits. Hope she's feeling alright!

jaordyna said...

That was pretty much incredible. Let me guess...the music is just there as a prop? I'm so glad you posted it, so we could see what this boy can REALLY do. What a sweet tribute to his mom. I'm sure that lifted her spirits. Hope she's feeling alright!

jaordyna said...

OOps. sorry about the dupicate, I don't know how that happened except that Lexi's being my little helper.
Oh...and watching Brian play Jer says, "I can't do that."

grandma-june-bug said...

Absolutely beautiful, Brian, what memories that brought back to me, your Mother sitting at the piano, teaching you with so much patience and love. God Bless you. Grandma june

Unknown said...

Brian, what a beautiful tribute to your Mom. Thank you, Chelsea, for sharing it with all of us who were not there.

HM (Nana) said...

Brian you are a wonderful son. I know that your dad shared with us how you were practicing to play your mom's favorite composition for her. A true gift of love that I know she will carry in her heart, and that you will fondly remember throughout your life. Well done! Love, Aunt Tina

Happy Mom said...

I'm a fellow CES wife in the area and love your in-laws!!! I've been laughing and crying along with their caringbridge entries and so found your blog. Brian's an amazing pianist!!! What a beautiful tribute to his mom!!! My 10 year old is wondering why I'm watching someone playing the piano with tears streaming down my cheeks! I love supportive families!!

Mark and Adrian said...

That was beautiful. What an amazing tribute to your mom. I used to live in Ames and love President and Sister Cheney. Thanks for posting.

Chelise said...

So talented. That sounds so sweet too.

Erin and Devin said...

Brian is amazing!! Tell him hi for me! Hope all is well! Good to see current updates for Eileen!! :)

Tiffanyrose said...

Wow, I am so impressed an touched by this.I love your mom so much, she has always been such an amazing Aunt. You are a good son Brian!

c said...

What a touching thing for everyone to do. Brian is amazing (but so is his wife!) Can't wait to see you NEXT WEEK!

c said...

I just watched the video. Wow! Brian is such an exceptional pianist! And watchingit made me realize how long it's been since we've seen him. Tell him "hi" and give him a hug from me.

Heather O'Brien said...

WOW! Amazing. That is just so neat.

Ben Robbins said...

What a special night and a great idea! Brian, I was blown away. I had no idea you had all that in you!

Stacie said...

I've been wanting to see this performance that I have heard so much about. Thanks for posting it! Also- I am so excited to be listed under "family bloggers".