Thursday, December 4, 2008

H.E.M. at Last

Ever since I started dating Brian 5 years ago, he has teased me about being a H.E.M. (his term of endearment to his Home Ec Major). At any mistake or hesitation to want to do something, he says, "Oh, come on, you're a H.E.M, of course you can do it", whether it be cooking a gourmet food, sewing a masterpiece something, being a perfect mom, or whatever else these "HEMs" are supposed to be experts at. Of course, this is all in good fun, since I often burn food, have to unpick half my sewing project, or just have no clue how to mother this cute little rascal. But I have to say, I have truly failed in one area: Baking the famed "Cheney Rolls."
Brian's mom is Amazing at cooking her rolls. I can hardly stop myself from eating a whole pan when she makes them. I have been convinced since we've been married that to truly be initiated in as a Cheney, I need to be able to make these Cheney Rolls.

Attempt #1: Failure. Two years ago I tried, and well, let's just say, we didn't end up eating them.


Attempt #2: Failure. Unfortunately, this was at last week's Thanksgiving meal (I know, my previous failure scared me away for 2 whole years from trying again). In a sincere effort to let Mom Cheney rest instead of making rolls, my SIL Lizz and I tried to make the rolls. Not a good idea. They came out of the oven 2 minutes before our Thanksgiving feast started, flat as a biscuit and with blackened bottoms.


In speaking with other Cheney family members about this, and hearing that every other person who has tried to recreate these masterpieces, has utterly failed too, we decided that these aren't actually Cheney Rolls, these are Eileen Rolls since no one else can achieve that greatness.


My sweet, loving, and oh-so-supportive husband, then sat me down and said, "Chelsea, I know you are a H.E.M, but you can't make these rolls. You have failed twice. You are not allowed to try again."

"Excuse me?!" I replied, "You can't demand that I never try again."
"Well, you've tried, and you can't do it. So don't even try ever again."
"Hmmph." I answered, with a "yeah, we'll see about that" in my head.

Yesterday, in direct defiance of my hubby, I tried again. And....

It worked! My rolls turned out almost perfect, only stunted in their baking by me having to take them out before they were golden brown, because Brian called and needed a ride home.

So, I guess that means they weren't as perfect as Eileen rolls, but I can say I know how to make Cheney Rolls!
And by the way, Brian really isn't a bully or demanding, but I did fall for his reverse psychology. Darn it, I always fall for that. :) Brian's excited I can make them now.

In case you would like to be a Cheney too, here's the recipe. I think we can honorary adopt anyone in who also can make the rolls.

Cheney Rolls
1 c. milk
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. margarine
1/4 c. water
3 1/2 c. flour
1 egg
1 Tbsp. quick rising yeast
Heat milk, sugar, salt, margarine, and water in saucepan until butter melts. Pour into large mixing bowl and add 1 1/2 c. flour, egg, and yeast. Mix for 3 minutes with a hand mixer. Gradually add about 2 more cups of flour with a spoon until dough is very thick and not too sticky. Knead just a few times and place into a greased bowl and let rise until doubled. Punch down dough and shape into rolls. Dip into melted butter and place in greased baking pan. Let rise again until doubled in size. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Brush again with melted butter.

7 comments:

Samantha Fife said...

Good Job Chelsea! There are also some "fife rolls" that I have actually never attempted, but would like to one day..........

Laura Morris said...

That's a fun story! And thanks for the recipe! I'll have to let you know how many times I fail before I get a good batch!

Laura

c said...

Hah! You crack me up, sister! I wonder why I didn't end up with any of the difiance that you flaunt :) Brian had better not of been bossing or he'll be getting a round-house-kick-to-the-face-in-these-bad-boys for Christmas (of course we love you, Brian, but not strong-arming a Lillywhite girl if you know what's good for ya!) Congrats on the success!

Jen said...

Don't you know that right now while you live in an apartment you can just blame everything on the cheap oven? That's what i do! Congrats on the successful rolls!

Chelise said...

Hmm, maybe when I get up the guts I will try these rolls myself! Go H.E.M.!

jaordyna said...

Way to go! Very funny story. Wanna cook em for us?

Lindz_e said...

Did the thought ever cross your mind that eileen might not be giving out the real recipe? Just a thought. Derek